"How To Build Your Business with Blogging" IFDA Event

Next week, I'll be giving a talk on blogging for IFDA.  (International Furnishings and Design Association) I was both nervous and excited when I got an email from Julianne Yurek inviting me to come talk about "How To Build Your Business Through Blogging."  

Nervous because-- public speaking is public speaking.  
And excited because-- blogging is something I truly feel has changed my life.  

 

I started blogging when I was just beginning my design business, and writing the blog not only helped boost my credibility & get my work out there, but it gave me the self-confidence I needed to keep going and to think big.

I started it when my husband & I sold our townhouse for a huge loss and went to live in my parents' basement with our (then) baby boy.  It was a time for getting back on our feet, to save for a house, again.  In the basement, I remember stumbling across the world of blogs and not even knowing what they were.  At first I thought that they were really odd and I wondered why people would want to read about someone else's home renovation...  But as I started reading them, I started loving them.  I started feeling like I was friends with the writers, like I knew them.  It felt like a world I was sort of on the edge of... One I wasn't quite a part of & wanted to be.  One night, I finally started one.  It was my little outlet where I thought I'd write for my grandmother & my mother-in-law.  Eventually, though, more people started to read and I began to realize that blogging was so much bigger than I thought it was. 

I can honestly say that blogging has shaped my business and really, my entire life.   The friends I've made and the experiences & opportunities that have opened up to me as a result of it have been amazing.  I'm excited to share my experience with others so that they too can hopefully get something meaningful out of blogging.  

If you're in the DC area, the event is open to anyone, so please come join us!  
I'd love to meet you!!


When: Wednesday, March 13th – 5:30pm – 7:30pm – Talk Starts at 6pm
Where: Architectural Ceramics - 203 South Union St. Alexandria, Virginia

Tickets are only $8 – they include drinks and hors d’oeuvres to enjoy at the event.  Student admission is free with a student ID.

Questions?  Email: jyurek@carnemark.com


Hope to see you there!



If you'd like help creating a home you absolutely love, contact me about our design services.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! It's been so wonderful reading and watching your blog grow as well as your business. Blogging has been a huge blessing in my life. Wish I were closer to hear your talk! You'll rock it.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

How wonderful! And I feel extra lucky because I am a local and will be able to attend the talk!

Looking forward to finally getting to meet you in person and learn more about your experiences with blogging and growing your business.

See you next week,
Liz

Beth said...

I started reading your blog when you lived in your parent's basement. You've accomplished so much since then!

Anonymous said...

I just moved to the DC area last summer, but I've been reading your blog for much longer than that. I'm sad I won't be able to make it to your event...I have an interior design class that night. Good luck! The attendees are in for a treat!

Unknown said...

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is simply nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work. mlm

Kristi Lynn said...

Oh my heavens! I would LOVE to come see you speak! Ahh. I'm a graduate student in Interior Architecture in PA but our Graduate professor is an Architect from DC (he drives up for the week to teach). I wish our class could come see you (there's only 6 of us)!!!

Unknown said...

So excited for you Lauren. I've been reading your blog for two years now and you give us all so much inspiration. How wonderful that I can come and meet you next week.

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Oh Lauren I would love to come! Your blog was one of the first I found, in fact it was about 6 months after you started. And I have enjoyed it all!

I along with many others are excited for your success and rooting for your continued growth.

I hope they tape your speaking engagement for those who can not see you.

Best of luck to you, you will be fabulous!

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Lauren you are truly an inspiration! I would totally hit up your event if I weren't on the opposite coast!!

-Rachael
arunawaymuse.blogspot.ca

Ashley said...

Lauren,
I've been a fan of yours for a long time and have loved reading about how you've grown your business (and sweet family!) Hope to meet you at this event, it sounds great!
Ashley

Christine at Little Brags said...

bummer, I hope I was close...I just started a Blog and that's exactly what I need....Greetings from WA State
http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Lauren,
I would love to attend your talk but I am in CA so I won't make it! I love hearing your story though because I am in the process of starting my business and working on getting a blog up and running. I am so inspired by your success so thanks for sharing.
Michelle

DuVäl Reynolds said...

Yay! I just did my little blog write up about it.

We're excited to have you.

See you in a week! :-)

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Lauren I have been reading your blog for years and would love to attend your seminar unfortunately you are in DC and I am in the Philly area but I wanted to wish you luck and congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment. I guess your post is meaningful to me today because I just launched my own design business and wrote my first blog post tonight! Thanks for being so inspiring. Stephanie www.stephaniekraussdesigns.blogspot.com

reginag said...

Awesome. Im definitely attending.


rugged laptop

debra @ 5th and state said...

so wish i could be there lauren.

when i think about blogging and all the blessings, you are definitely one of them

continue to soar!
xo
debra

Unknown said...

Outstanding...i can make out that you are pretty excellent in writing..
Android Developer